Week Thirteen: Recovery Boot Camp and the Schnellenberger Family Foundation are proud to present Basic Training: Family Edition, a weekly educational webinar that corresponds to our clients' Basic Training. This week Rabbi Mark begins with the be-all and end-all of Asserting Boundaries."Be specific. Be reasonable. And be firm." Then the Good Rabbi Mark wraps up the curriculum part of the series with a heaping helping of helpful hints.
Watch the Good Rabbi Mark explain all about asserting boundaries.
When setting boundaries
- Be specific
- Be reasonable
- Make the boundary enforceable
- Make the boundary logical
Reinforcing thoughts to maintain boundaries
- Remember boundaries are acts of self care, not attempts to change another person or control their behavior
- Stop explaining and justifying
- Face your fear
- Be honest
- Know that "No" is a complete sentence
- If you feel guilt when first setting boundaries, feel it and do it anyway